If you are renovating your kitchen, you might be replacing your countertops. As you begin your search for the perfect countertops, you will find that there are many options available. One of your options is natural stone countertops.
Types of Natural Stone Countertops
Natural stone countertops are a great choice for nearly any kitchen. With so many options, you can find the right type of stone to work in your kitchen. Nearly all natural countertops come in neutral colors, which makes them easy to match with a variety of kitchen colors. Some can also be found in bold, bright colors to add more interest to your kitchen.
Here are some of your natural stone countertop options:
- Granite. Granite is a hard rock that is very durable. This makes it great for frequent use in the kitchen. It is available in a variety of different colors.
- Marble. Marble is crystallized, which gives it a beautiful appearance of sweeping lines and high polish. It is a very elegant countertop. It is available in several colors.
- Quartzite. Quartzite is a very strong and heat-resistant type of stone. Quartzite is a combination of sandstone and quartz and it is even harder than quartz.
- Limestone. Limestone is made up of calcium deposits. Because of this, limestone is stunning and elegant. It is a good option if you are on a budget.
- Travertine. Travertine is a type of limestone. It has a fibrous look. It is often white, tan, cream, or rust-colored.
- Slate. Slate is a very textured stone that can be found in an array of colors. It is easy to clean, which makes it a great surface for the kitchen countertops.
- Soapstone. Soapstone is typically dark gray or green. It has a soft feel and is great for an old-fashioned or rustic kitchen.
- Onyx. Onyx is a type of quartz that has bands of a variety of colors. It has a unique effect in some lighting situations. It is available in a variety of different colors.
Any of these options make great countertops. Natural stone countertops are popular, which makes them easy to find near you. Some types, such as slate, are less common, but they can still be used.
If you cannot decide on one type of natural stone for your countertops, you can mix and match the surfaces. You can use one material on the island and a different one in the rest of the kitchen.
How to Pick the Right Natural Stone Countertop for Your Kitchen
Before deciding which natural stone countertops you would like to install in your kitchen, you need to make sure it goes with your kitchen design. It is important to buy and install cohesive pieces for your kitchen. If you do not do this, some of your home décor will look out of place because it is mismatched.
When you are choosing new countertops for your kitchen, you should keep the styles and colors of the following pieces in mind:
Identify what styles and colors are present in your kitchen already to make the countertop shopping process easier. You might have décor in your kitchen that you would like to continue to use. If so, make sure the new countertops work with that décor.
If you have a bold or bright color for your cabinets, another bold or bright color for the countertops can be overwhelming. Similarly, you do not want to use two light or soft colors for both your cabinets and your countertops. You should not try to match your cabinets to your countertops perfectly. This does not always turn out well. Coordinating is not the same as matching.
When you are looking at specific types of stone, you should pay attention to the veins of color. Granite is a great example of this. Most of the time, granite is not a solid color. It may be white with veins of gray. If you have gray cabinets, this can be a good way to bring everything together.
Other types of stone work this way too. You may find countertops that have flecks of color in them. You can choose a stone that has the same color flecks or veins as other pieces in your kitchen.
If you are making lots of changes to your kitchen, including the cabinets and the countertops, start with choosing the countertops. These are more expensive and difficult to change. From there, you can find the right cabinets to match. You can even repaint the cabinets you already have to go well with your new countertops.
How to Choose Countertops Based on Kitchen Size
The style of your kitchen can also include the size of the space. If you have a small kitchen, it is a good idea to choose a light-colored stone for your countertops. This will brighten up the space and make it look bigger. You may want to avoid darker stone in a small space unless it has lighter veins and flecks.
If you have a larger kitchen, you do not need to be too worried about the color of the stone you are adding to the space. For more information, please visit www.slabmarket.com.
Color Pairing Suggestions
To help you come up with a few ideas for your kitchen, here are some good color pairings. Look for cabinets and countertops in these colors to create the perfect kitchen style.
- Cherry with blue or green
- Light oak with darker browns
- Dark brown with shades of green
- Maple with gray or white
- Black, gray, or brown with white
- Brown with cream or off-white
As you shop for natural stone countertops for your kitchen, think about your kitchen design. This is an important part of renovating your kitchen. You want to make sure everything is cohesive and works well together.
Natural stone countertops can be a nice addition to any kitchen. There are many great natural stone countertop options available. You will be able to find the perfect one for your style.